Monday, August 8, 2011

"PUNISHMENT OF GOD"



In 1206, the nomadic Mongols became united under Temuchin or popularly known as Genghis (Chinggis) Khan and began their brutal expansion from their homeground in Gobi Desert westwards (Eastern Europe) and eastwards (China).












Genghis Khan (c. 1170-1227)











Genghis Khan sacked Bukhara, Samarkand. The old Qurans in the mosque were desecrated. Though not a Muslim, Genghis gathered prisoners into the mosque and delivered his famous 'Punishment of God' speech from the pulpit.
"O people, know that you have committed great sins and that the great ones among you have committed these sins! If you ask me what proof I have for these words, I say it is because I am the punishment of God. If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you...."








A sixteenth-century Indian depiction of the Mongols storming a Chinese city.

No comments:

Post a Comment