Saturday, July 19, 2014

LATTAKIA, EVENING BY THE MEDITERRANEAN


Lattakia is an ancient town. I have visited a coliseum, remnant of the Roman times there. It is a town by the Mediterranean coast and is the home ground of Bashar Assad, a fact I do not know until the civil strife in Syria. Before the strife all things seemingly looked peaceful.

However, I now recall that during a stay in my host family at Jablah, a village in Lattakia district in 2006, I wandered to the neighbouring farms on my own taking pictures. The next day and days afterwards, a plainclothes policeman (I was told) was always on the rounds in front of my host family's house. I befriended him with greetings in Arabic, all that I know.

New condominium buildings by the coast of Lattakia. Perhaps, there was quite a boom time at least in Lattakia about 10 years ago.


Location of Lattakia along the north coast quite close to the border of Turkey.


From left - Aiham, Medina and her niece strolling along the beach road heading for dinner.


A small seaside restaurant at the end of a side road by a rocky promontory where we had dinner. The red flowers are bougainvillaea.

(Malaysia is just slightly better in terms of littering of plastic bottles, papers and other rubbish. Fortunately, in our country we have recyclers who collect plastic bottles to sell and this help relief the litter load).


A close-up view of the restaurant, an architectural design in harmony with the rocky geography, and giving good view of the sea.


Medina ordering the food. I could not remember what were the dishes!


No comments:

Post a Comment